Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Great Writer Goes Down for the Count

WC Heinz, the great boxing writer, and a role model for Howard Cosell, has died.
I post this not only to pay tribute to an important figure in our field, but also
to make an observation. With AJ Leibling and Bill Heinz gone, is not the best
boxingwriter alive our own Carlo Rotella? If so, what is interesting is that if
I am not mistaken, Rotella's first boxing publication was in a Bill Heinz book.
And Rotella hates Cosell! The circle goes around.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Charles Farrell said...

Heinz was certainly the last of the guys who had firsthand observational reference to the alltimers. But I'm not sure that, removed from the very compromised standards of boxing writing, he was much more than an adequate journalist. It's not my intention to make Carlo blush, but I don't think there's any question that he's a better writer than Heinz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home