Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hopkins-Calzaghe Pre-fight Talk

This post is the cumulative email thread that some of us exchanged earlier today. It's a little bit untidy because the emails were sent in ways that often overlapped. I've tried to sort them out as best possible.

The initial email, sent by me, took exception to a boxing writer (not part of this group) who drew a comparison between Mikkel Kessler and Bernard Hopkins. The point that the writer was trying to make was that if Kessler could have success against Calzaghe by using his right, then Hopkins would have even more success. What follows stems from that email.

Frank Lotierzo:

(Referring to Kessler's right) It's harder, faster and he throws more. No way Hopkins lets his hands go as freely as Kessler did versus Calzaghe.

Charles Farrell:

Kessler was undefeated and full of confidence for the first three or four rounds. He grew discouraged pretty quickly. I agree, there's no comparison between Kessler and Hopkins. Of course, in defense of Hopkins, when Kessler used up the things he knew how to do, the fight was over for him. When what Hopkins tries early doesn't work, he'll try something else. It won't work either.

One thing did occur to me, though: Hopkins, playing against expectations, might come out of the gate very fast and try to nail Calzaghe with an uncharacteristically big shot in the hope of fooling Joe into believing that he punches harder than he really does.

The biggest misconception I'm picking up (at least from the US writers) is that if Calzaghe finds a bump in the road, he may become disconcerted. That's nonsense; this guy is rock tough. He's tougher than Hopkins, which is saying a lot.

I'd like to know everyone else's opinion, but I'm picking Calzaghe in a walk (116-112 or better.)

Carlo Rotella:

I guess I expect that the best Hopkins can reasonably expect to do is win 51% of the fight, which won't be enough to win it on the cards, and the worst he can do is to lose by a few points. So I guess I expect Calzaghe to win by a fairly close but not particularly controversial decision. Hopkins increasingly fights like the Italian national soccer team traditionally plays: forted up on defense, looking to stage the occasional run the other way when the other team overextends trying to score against the forted-up defense. That leads to a lot of close games, whatever the result.

That said, this is a case in which I'll be very happy to be very wrong, and to see Hopkins catch him and hurt him and surprise everybody. There's almost no fighter these days I think more of, and I love to see him succeed. I think that would be a major addition to his all-time credentials, by the way, going up to beat the best and toughest guy available. But I think to bet on that would be emotion, not sense. I think sense says that Calzaghe finds ways to keep it coming, and Hopkins doesn't do anything stupid, and that adds up to a close-ish decision for Calzaghe.


Frank Lotierzo:

I marvel at Hopkins accomplishments, and as much as he'd be unbearable if he won, I'd like to see him pull it off. I also see the fight pretty much the way Carlo does. And win or lose, he's among my top five middleweight greats, based on head-to-head and accomplishment / credentials.

Charles Farrell:

I just have this nagging suspicion that Hopkins (new physique notwithstanding, since Mackie Shillstone is the kiss of death to professional prizefighters) is much nearer the end of the road than people think.

Carlo Rotella:

That may be true--I don't know that I can tell--but I guess my sense of it is that with Hopkins the end of that road will be reached more gradually than most. He's so good at negating and stifling the other guy, which is not as subject to degradations of speed and strength as other skills might be, that I think the end of the road for him is more likely to take the form of a bunch of decision losses than it is to take the form of getting knocked on his ass over and over. I hope so, anyway.

Charles Farrell:

I think so too. But he may have already reached that point. The Taylor losses might represent them. Let's face it, the Winky Wright fight was little more than a quick land grab by two old guys. Wright, talented though he is, has no business at 171 pounds. The one genuine blip on the descent radar is the Tarver fight. Is it just one very tough guy making one not so tough guy give up?

Hopkins has been very good in his late period choice of opponents, but Calzaghe seems all wrong. In order to beat guys nowadays, Bernard has to hustle them a little bit. I can't imagine Calzaghe falling for a scam.

Eddie Goldman:

As much as a Hollywood-style comeback win by Hopkins might sound tempting to predict, I just don't see it. Calzaghe is not only punching continuously, which everyone sees, but also incredibly accurately, both with leads and counters. His defense and conditioning are also superb. The only questions are the usual, i.e., any unrevealed injuries, and politics in the scoring.

Hopkins has been trying to be the ultimate con man, convincing everyone that 43 is just another number. I wish it were true, but it fucking ain't.


Carlo Rotella:

That's another reason I root for Hopkins. He's the same age as me, and while there really is no comparison between how he's spent his life and how I've spent mine, I like to see that there are people my age able to go 12 rounds with the best.

Mike Ezra:

I think Hopkins will fight extremely roughly and use every dirty trick he can. I would not be surprised to see a DQ in this fight, or a
controversial finish involving a cut or a foul. Otherwise, Calzaghe wins
easy by UD or even a Hopkins retirement.


The thread continued with a lengthy argument between Frank and me, debating whether or not Bernard Hopkins deserves to be considered one of the top five middleweights of all time (Frank thinks he should. I think he shouldn’t.) But that’s a different discussion for a different post. Besides, tonight’s fight may have some bearing on our opinions in the matter.

7 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

I have a feeling if Hopkins loses to Calzaghe, many will trash him and say he hasn't fought anybody since Jones, and lost. Which is moronic and unfair. But then again, fans are great for those kind of statements.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

BTW Charles, you posted the thread in a way that conveys the tone and content of our discussion.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Charles Farrell said...

Spectacularly ugly, unaesthetic, filthy, and totally compelling fight. It really illustrates the point that a fight doesn't have to be classically pleasing to be captivating. Hopkins showed me a lot. I thought Calzaghe won it, but it was a really tough night's work.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Charles Farrell said...

It would be a lot of fun to play poker with Lampley and Steward. Emmanuel is a shameless shill whose pronouncements all come straight from the HBO executive offices. Immediately after Calzaghe wins the biggest fight of his career, Lampley slowly throws an underhand softball to Manny: "Who do you think should be next for Calzaghe? Who do people want to see?" I'm waiting to hear Kelly Pavlik or Chad Dawson, but Steward pauses and then comes up with....Roy Jones!

Why do I get the feeling that maybe HBO and Jones already have something set in motion?

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

The HBO team is deplorable.

I just finished watching the replay, and I was thinking before hand that having scored it for Hopkins last night that maybe I was off. Going by everything I read. After watching it just now, with the sound barely on, I'm more firm now that Hopkins won. HBO punch count is more meaningless than time of possession in Football.

Calzaghe slapped and most of them missed. The dominant punch of the fight was Hopkin's right hand. He clearly landed the cleaner punches and was never hurt.

Sorry guys, but that's how I saw it. Although it was very close and I can't argue with a draw or if your Calzaghes father, a point win for Joe.....And I agree, Jones should never fight Calzaghe.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Carlo Rotella said...

Whatever you think of this particular fight or that one, Hopkins presents judges and others who try to score his fights with a real problem. He's so astute, so in control of his craft, so attuned to what he can and can't do and what his opponent can be made to do, that he can reduce almost any close matchup to a near-draw (unless he wins going away, of course). Basically, he forces you to decide whether he won 51% or 49% of the fight. Now, my bias is in favor of technical boxing and ring generalship, and I am against giving too much credit for appearing to be the aggressor, so I was inclined to score the Taylor fights for Hopkins, and when I sit down and watch this fight I'll be inclined to score it for him. But many judges give a lot more weight to advancing and throwing punches than I do--and, also, in this case, they were at ringside and I wasn't, and I don't think any fight (and most especially any recent Hopkins fight) can be scored on TV. So Hopkins is a major problem. I think he has to be seen in person to really be appreciated, but even then it may be impossible to be confident that you've scored one of his fights properly.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

Again, I think it was very close, but Hopkins eked it out. Maybe it's better said this way. Hopkins was exactly what I expected and Calzaghe was a little less.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home