Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Hands-On Question

The other day I gave a talk by teleconference--which is weird, because you're watching them watch TV and they're watching you watch TV--to a class studying the literature of boxing at a university in Germany.  (I think it's an unqualified good thing, by the way, that somebody's devoting a whole course to the literature of boxing.)  We had an enjoyable discussion, which they continued on their own after we broke the connection and I went about my business. Later, the professor, Christoph Ribbat, told me by email that they'd gotten into a lively debate between two evenly matched factions:  those that felt that a writer should have some hands-on experience in boxing (and were aghast that I had no interest in getting any such experience) and those who felt that hands-on experience was unnecessary, trivial, or even misleading.

My sympathies are mostly with the latter group:  as I said to the class, I want my paragraphs, not my body, to be trained down fine and filled to the brim with technique and power.  But I can see at least some merit in the argument made by the former group.  When I look over the list of those who contribute to The Boxing Standard, I see a former amateur and pro fighter, a former backyard fighter who at least until recently still trained in the gym and trained others, a dedicated weekend warrior who trains with a former heavyweight contender, a guy who's done at least some wrestling (most recently on the street, if I remember Eddie's most recent war story correctly), and a former manager and promoter who occasionally went around in the ring with his fighters (if I have that all right; I think I do).  Actually, the majority of us have some kind of hands-on experience, and on the continuum of doing and watching I represent the extreme watching end.

Of course, we all work on our writing and reporting chops and sources, and to me those are the most important things, but when I think about the variety of enjoyment afforded by the fight writing of my associates in this group I can see that it does change what you can say about boxing to speak from firsthand experience.  Sometimes, I'm convinced, a smattering of hands-on experience only gives a writer the delusion of authority that allows him to say wrong things more confidently, but experience can also give you fresh insight not available to those whose engagement with boxing is just from observation and interview.  Beyond the present company, there are writers I like to read on boxing--Robert Anasi, Rene Denfeld, Sam Sheridan, Iceman John Scully--whose hands-on experience makes them more interesting, gives them more to say, and allows them angles in on meaning that I can't pursue.  Going back to my favorite fight writers of all time, Pierce Egan seems to have had more than a casual involvement on the promotion and management end (hence his impressive command of the subject of what he called "X fights"), and even the gouty Liebling banged the bags a bit.

None of that adds up to a requirement that a writer about boxing have firsthand experience in the gym or the ring, and I still think the Mailer Effect--allowing a bit of dabbling to persuade you that you know what fighters know--is a great danger to the immodest writer, but I guess where this leaves me is with the conviction that the writing-about-boxing world needs to contain writers working all along the spectrum from former-fighter-turned-writer (I wish there were more of those) to pure writers-for-writing's-sake who never touch the stuff themselves.

How about you?  Does it make a difference?  Do you care if a fight writer has done any boxing?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Charles Farrell said...

The short answer is that I don’t care whether or not a boxing writer has spent time in the ring. There have been a few boxers turned writers whose in-ring experiences (we, as a group, know two of them in Frank Lotierzo and John Scully) transmit a measure of authority (along certain lines) that are beyond the scope of all non-boxers.

But a good boxing writer who has never been near the ring can teach me things about boxing. And a world champion who writes poorly about boxing (I’m thinking of Jose Torres as an example) doesn’t necessary impart any wisdom that a reasonably schooled boxing aficionado wouldn’t already have.

As you point out, Carlo, there’s been a lot of dreadful writing done by guys who stepped into the ring with fellows who were very careful not to hit them too hard, and who, upon emerging from the experience, thought themselves capable of speaking with a kind of moral authority—that they had legitimated themselves.

But having hands-on experience at sparring is to professional boxing what playing “Chopsticks” is to assaying a Franz Liszt “Transcendental Etude.” You can kid yourself that the former has prepared you in some way to deal with the latter, but it is nonsense.

As you say, I did go around in the ring a little bit with particularly indulgent guys who made sure that they didn’t accidentally tear my head off (no small feat to keep from doing; it says something about their skill level.) In terms of what I can bring to boxing writing and observation, these terrifying and enjoyable sessions accomplished next to nothing. But managing fighters, making deals, spending years in boxing gyms and in various back rooms all contributed to providing me with something to say on the subject.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Carlo Rotella said...

I think knowing the business side, as opposed to the fighting side, may actually be equally or more valuable for writers, even those interested in what boxing can be made to mean. Typically, though, they're so focused on the romance of what happens in the ring, on knowing it from the inside and interpreting it, that they tend not to invest much effort in understanding matchmaking, deal-making, and the rest. But it's often on the business side--as Mike Ezra's forthcoming book on Ali will demonstrate so eye-openingly--where the lion's share of the meaning gets made.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

I'd love to come on and say that if you haven't fought, I mean really competed in organized fights, instead of in the backyard with your buddy, an opinion or viewpoint isn't as worthy as someone who has. But I can't. I have two friends, who don't contribute to this blog, (Ken & Bill), who never fought, and their insight is more insightful than 90% of the fighters and writers I've met or read.

I have many more thoughts, but am pressed for time. I'll finish this post tomorrow.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Charles Farrell said...

The thing is, what happens in the ring is almost always a direct offshoot of what takes place outside. And there's no question that knowing what takes place outside--the process that gets a fight into the ring--allows you to interpret with far greater aptitude what takes place once the guys are actually fighting. I'm inclined to take that statement even a step further: without a deeply cultivated understanding of what takes place outside of the ring, you can't really know what's taking place in it.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Benjamin Jürgens said...

Well, I actually was actually taking part in that video lecture and I totally agree with you. In our lively discussion afterwards we tried to somehow transfer your attitude to another situation.

We used the image of restaurant critics. There were some who said that restaurant critics have to be educated as chefs because otherwise they couldn`t properly judge or at least not appreciate the food the way it was made. Well, I think everyone could be a restaurant critic, because I don't care at all who made the food, how the chef made it and what ingredients he/she used; as long as it's good: fine with me. (That's of course my personal attitude and I'm sure there are people who wouldn't eat anything out of different reasons, even though it might be superb.)

It is probably true though that writers with in-the-ring experience do write differently or even write about other aspects of boxing but I guess that would only be true for former boxers, whose in-the-ring experience was not intended to serve the writing world in the first place.

So, in the end, it is a kind of meaningless discussion. If only experts - and with that I mean people with practical experience - wrote about their special field, writing would be very boring and one-sided.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home